Cal

I went to New York after receiving a note. Found it on my bedside in a motel room. Calvin was supposed to be there. After searching for a few days, I found him. He wanted me to find him. It was an alleyway. Dark and empty. You could hear the cars driving by on the nearby road. There was a railing that I could see on the far end, it looked like it led down to a road below.

"You made it." He stepped out into sight.

"Hello Cal. You wanted to see me?" - me

"Yes. How are you, Carter? It's been quite a while. Hasn't it?" - Cal

He looked well. His old accent was back. I felt the weight of the revolver in its holster--I had the Archangel bullet loaded. "I've been fine, Cal. Let's get to the point."

"Woah. Let's slow down some, hotshot. Now, I have it on good authority that you aren't with the Agency anymore. Little 'ole sis is now in charge. Thing is, she's gone dark. Her and all the others. Not one of them has been seen in public. You know less than I do." - Cal

He paused to watch my reaction. I didn't let it show, but I was actually shocked. With how "obsessed" he was with "protecting" Sam, if he wasn't able to uncover anything...

"I also know how she felt about you. Much to my dismay. So, how about we team up? Think about it, an alliance between us. Just imagine the possibilities! It'll be like old times, except better. No rank, no rules, no orders. Just us. We can find her. Protect her. We don't need the Agency, or Jack, or Lilith, or even the Archangel!" - Cal

"No. You'd sell me out. You'd hurt her. It won't happen, Cal. It ends here." I pulled the revolver and took aim. He stepped back when he saw it.

"You wouldn't shoot me. You know how pointless it would be...unless." He smiled. "No! You don't have what I think you have, do you? I bet you do. This is a predicament, isn't it?" - Cal

"I'm sorry Cal, but I have to protect Sam. You put her in danger before. Even if your intentions are good, I can't let you go." - me

He sighed as he took another step back. He was barely visible now.

"You won't do it. What is it that what's-her-face called you? 'Mr. Pacifist', I believe? You won't pull that trigger." - Cal

I pulled the hammer back. The sound echoed in the alleyway. "Try me. I'll do anything to protect the people I care about. If that means that I have to kill someone, I will." - me

I was about to pull the trigger when suddenly light was thrown into the alleyway. A voice called out from behind me. "Freeze! NYPD. Let me see your hands!" It was a cop.

I don't think he saw Calvin as he jumped over the rail.

"Dammit." He got away. "Officer, let's just walk away from this, okay? No need to be hasty. Let's just forget this all happened." - me

"Sir, drop the weapon. This is your final warning. Drop your weapon."

"I can't do that, officer." I prepared myself to run, as I did so, my left leg slipped. I heard a gunshot. This cop was either a really good shot and only went for lethal shots, or he got extremely unlucky and hit my head.

I woke up a few minutes later. He was calling it in.

"...need backup. Send the coroner, we've got a dead body. He was about to shoot me."

I stood up. He saw and jumped. "You know, this all could have been a lot simpler if you had only listened to me." I got a good look at him, he was young--only a few years older than me.

"H-how did y-you... I shot you... T-the blood and the wound... What...what are you?"

"Me? I'm just a man, officer. A man like any other. Now, we can do this the easy..." He fainted. "...way or... Oh, hell." I made sure that no one else was nearby, then I made sure that I had everything and did what I could to clean up some of the blood.

I could hear the sirens approaching, so I exited stage left--over the railing. No sign of Cal. He was gone.

Great, I'm running out of leads and Cal got away. Maybe I should go and get my stuff from Med while I plan my next move.

Comments

  1. I don't know who that is, or who Sam is, or why this is important but I do know it's important to you. So keep trying your best! I know that if you never give up and believe in yourself, you can accomplish anything!

    And don't forget to smile! Things are never as bad as they seem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cal was an old...associate. And Sam is a friend. It's hard to smile when they're likely dead.

      Delete
    2. There are a lot of people who are dead. A lot of people we used to love who are probably dead! It doesn't do us any good to not smile because of it. Keep trying, keep positive. ^_^

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Months.....