Sunday, August 10, 2014

What Now?

Chernobyl. Just reading that word brings up all the history behind it. In my attempt to evade Dmitri's men, I apparently was heading in that general direction. He decided that if I was looking to spend time in isolation from other people, I might as well go there. He arranged for me to quietly enter and have an exit. I was also given all of the warnings you could expect of the dangers.

I found what I was looking for, except it was different than I expected. I found a person. He didn't tell me his name, just told me to call him the 'Hunter.' He said that he was hunting the creature that killed his wife. When I asked what it was, he said it was the 'Rake.' He believed that he would be able to kill it, and that it would be in the Zone. Apparently, he knew someone that was able to make a facsimile of one of the Archangel's rounds.

On a hunch, I stayed with him as he tried tracking his prey. I was completely amazed. You may call me crazy, but the Zone is absolutely beautiful. One night, after we ate, he asked me what I was doing. I told him my story, and he said that I should be 'taking up all your complaints with that Blind Man.' I thought about that for the rest of that night, and realized he was right. If there was anyone-thing that could restore my memories, it was the Blind Man.

That night, I had another dream. I was outside, it was dark. There was a fire in front of me, and laughter all around. I felt something hit my side so I looked to see what. It was that girl from the last dream, she threw a dead leaf at me to get my attention. We talked for quite a while. I can't remember what we said, but I do remember one thing: I felt happy. Completely overjoyed. It's something I haven't felt once since I woke up in that dirty alleyway.

I woke up to the Hunter shaking me: he spotted his prey. I looked and saw it. I'm no expert on what the Rake looks like, but that thing had to be it. Or at least, something very similar. It was unnerving and creepy to watch it move. I think it also unnerved my new friend, because he didn't take the chance to shoot it. That morning we packed our gear to leave.

"You know, you can leave with me. You probably won't get another chance to leave this place alive and still be a free man."

"I'm gonna kill that thing first. Then...then I might just take your offer."

I told him where to be and what time to be there. Dmitri couldn't keep the exit available for more than 5 minutes. We parted ways after I wished him luck. I never saw him again. Something tells me he failed.

So, I'm done in Russia and surrounding areas. I need to track down the Blind Man...or just accept the fact that I may never regain what I lost. After all, what if I wanted to lose those memories in the first place? What if my wish destroys me, turns me into a monster?

Anyway, now I need to decide on my next course of action. I still have the fake ID's, so I could probably go anywhere. The question is, where?

17 comments:

  1. Chernobyl is in Ukraine, not Russia. You really do have a bad memory. Or bad geography.

    My father was a kid living in southernmost Belarus at the time of the accident, and around this time, he began to see the thin monster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I feel stupid now. I guess I was thinking more of the Soviet Union, then? Maybe I just need some sleep.

      And really? Almost like the two were connected somehow.?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, you do need sleep; the Soviet Union dissolved in 1991...

      Maybe. He couldn't stay there to find out; he was ten anyway. He got kind of sad whenever he talked about it.

      Delete
    3. I know that. It's just for some odd reason I still think of the area in those terms. And no, I don't support any of the Soviet ideology.

      Sounds like he had a very hard life.
      .

      Delete
    4. None of it at all? It is based on Marxism, which is a fascinating sociological perspective. Of course, you know how politics is; people come in with their own agendas and fuck everything up.

      I guess he did.

      Delete
    5. Well, it certainly looks good on paper. But in practice? Not so much.

      Forgive me for asking, but what's your opinion on him? You don't have to answer if you don't to.

      Delete
    6. It's not something I feel like going over; really sorry.

      Delete
    7. That's fine. I should apologize, it wasn't my place to ask.

      Delete
  2. I wish he'd survived. I'm intensely curious about this method of making facsimile Archangel rounds. And I advise caution in dealing with the Blind Man. There's always a price, and the price is almost always information. Usually memory, of which you don't have much to spend to start with.

    If you're looking for a destination, you're welcome to come down here. You could bring the eye. I don't exactly have a house anymore, but I could spot you for a hotel room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He kept saying that he got it from a friend, so there's still a chance to find some.

      Well, hopefully, he'll be in the understanding kind of mood.

      Well, I could swing by to drop it off. Don't worry about a hotel, it's not like I'm an honored guest or anything. Just another Runner.

      So, where exactly is 'here'?

      Delete
    2. Mm. But without knowing who the friend is, it'd be difficult.

      "Here" is Christchurch, New Zealand. I can give you a more specific meeting spot once you've arrived, if you decide to.

      Just another Runner? XD Don't sell yourself short.

      Delete
    3. You seem like the kind of person who likes a challenge.

      I'll head to the nearest airport as soon as I can.

      I am. Nothing special, that is.

      Delete
    4. Nobody's "nothing special", least of all you.

      See you there.

      Delete
    5. Keep telling yourself that if you want.

      I'll be as quick as I can.

      Delete
  3. I'd tell you to be careful, but that's long overdue.
    I'm getting tired of this life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for thought. I know what you mean, it's pretty difficult.

      Delete