Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Memories?

So, it's been awhile since my last post. It's crazy here, Russia's in chaos right now for Runners and Proxies alike. I've had to skip town quite a few times to avoid trouble. So, where to begin? I guess that eye is a good place. Med, if you want it, say so. If not, well, I guess it can just keep creeping me out. Again, no offense intended, I'm just not used to disembodied eyes following my movements.

Next thing is the most (prominent) recent dream. This one gave me the idea that these are possibly memories. So, I'm gonna describe it here. Probably in great detail, so you can skip it if you want. I'll have a line break at the start and the end. So, here we go:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was in the passenger seat of a car, this dream followed the previous one where I wasn't in control of my actions. I turned to the back of the car, seeing the driver: a man who looked to be younger than 20. Probably still in high school, so probably younger than 18 as well. I started talking to someone in the back: a girl who must have been the younger sister of the driver. She had to be younger than me, since I was telling her about some project that she'd have to do the next school year. (This confirmed that she was a year younger than me) We also started talking about other things as well: we definitely seemed to be good friends.

The next thing I know, I see a bright light and hear the man yell. Everything went dark.Suddenly, I 'opened' my eyes and felt a lot of pain. Everywhere. I felt a warm trickle of blood running down the side of my head. As I looked to my left, I saw that the driver was in far worse shape, but he was still breathing. I fumbled with the seat belt until it unlatched. I then leaned over to check on him: his pulse was inconsistent, but he was definitely still alive.

He let out a groan as he opened his eyes. "Is...is she okay? Tell me she's okay."

I leaned over the seat towards the back to check on the girl, she was fine from what I could tell. Just unconscious. I told him.

"Well...I guess we're not gonna...have that...basketball game tomorrow, huh?" He tried laughing, but it ended with him coughing up blood.

"Hey, don't try to talk. Just lay back, I'm gonna call for help okay?" I stumbled out of the car and looked around as I pulled out a phone and dialed for help. I told the operator everything I knew and was told that help was on the way. I looked around for the other car, it wasn't there. The other driver probably was drunk and freaked out, so he probably just left. His front bumper was still here. I heard my friend calling for me.

"...I want you to do me a favor. If...if I don't..."

"Don't you dare start talking like that! You'll be fine. Help will get here, and we'll all be okay."

"No. Just listen to me dammit." He started coughing again. "Promise me. Promise me that you'll take care of her. Promise me..." He started coughing, worse than the other times, until he passed out.

"I...I promise." I checked to see if he was still alive, he was. I sat down and kept checking on both of them until  heard sirens. Two ambulances and a police car approached. The EMT's came to me, but I told them to not worry about me. The cop walked over and started questioning me as the EMT's loaded up the other two. I got into the back of the back of the ambulance with the driver. He died on the way to the hospital, the EMT in the back was apologetic, he felt that there would have been a chance for my friend if a helicopter had been available.

At the hospital, I was told that I had been lucky. I came out of the accident with a few bruised ribs and a broken ankle. I was in the same room as the sister. The doctor told me that my and her parents were on the way. He thought that she'd be awake before her parents arrived and he wasn't sure if it would be a good idea for him to be the one to break the news to her. As if on cue, she shifted and woke up. The doctor made a hurried exit after helping me to a chair next to her bed.

"What happened?"

"Well, there was an accident. You have a concussion." I froze when I was about to tell her about her brother.

"What is it? What's wrong? Where?..."

I looked down as I told her the news. She started crying and grabbed my hand. I ended up crying as well. Apparently, he had been a close friend. We sat like that for a while. Then her parents arrived and mine helped me over to my bed, where I tried to sleep. I then woke up with a distinct feeling of sadness.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know that names must have been used, but I can't remember them. But, I do think that it was a memory from my past. Most likely before I became a Runner. The girl might still be alive. I wonder who she was?

So, after waking up, I decided to go on that walk. I walked to a diner that was recommended by the owner of the hotel. It was a nice little diner, and I chose a seat that allowed me to see everything in the building. I got a newspaper (even though I can't read Russian, made me feel very silly) and some coffee. Just when I was about to leave I saw two men enter. Both were wearing some very nice suits. They sat down and began searching the place. One of them saw me, his gaze rested for too long, it gave him away. They both then went out of their way to not directly look at me.

I got up and asked the owner if there was a restroom I could use. I entered it and was relieved to find that it was a single-occupant with a lock, and had a window just large enough for me to slip out. I locked the door and made my way out. I judged that I would have at least 10 minutes before they realized what happened. When I got back to the hotel, I saw a car sitting in front, probably waiting to see if I entered the hotel. I slipped in through a side entrance.


The owner was very helpful. He told me that some men in suits had been asking for me and searched my room. He gave me my bag, and told me to go. That he had never seen me. I thanked him and (after checking to make sure that I had everything) left. I've been going from town to town since then.

This was a lot longer than I thought it would be, so you must be a legend if you read it all. I might be a few steps closer to finding my identity, I hope.

3 comments:

  1. You sure get into a lot of trouble, I should keep an eye on you.
    Ba dum tish.
    That aside, feel free to send the eye to me if it's presence bothers you, although I'm not sure if this would void the contract it was the price of, or if it wasn't given to you for a *reason*. There's some new Couriers, I hear, who could transport it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not privy to all the details here as I don't like snooping through letters with other people's names on them. All I know is that there's a letter and this eye for you, and that I'm supposed to make sure you get them.

      And nice joke, can you see anything through it?

      Delete
    2. No, I can't. Which didn't seem all that odd until finding out it was apparently undecayed and motile. As a point of interest, does it's pupil contract and dilate in response to light?

      I'll take the eye and letter, then. Something's not right here.

      Delete