Wednesday, April 9, 2014

It Was Just a Simple Job

     I walk into the bar and take in my surroundings.  It's just a plain bar that could be in any city of the world.  It's the kind of place a man would go into to get lost.  Or to lose himself. The place is normally crowded, but I chose my time carefully.  There are few people left, and the ones still here either are too drunk or just don't care anymore. Or maybe a mix of both.  I look for my target, he's sitting at the bar.  Just like he does every single night.  Third stool from the end.  I approach and sit down at the next stool.  The bartender 'called in sick' tonight, and his replacement doesn't pay me any mind.  I hear Her, reminding me what to do. That I have to do it. i fight back. i lose.

     I turn towards him as I say, "You look like a man who's down on his luck. Let me order you a drink, pally." The bartender sends a glass down this way, it's filled with the man's regular order. He accepted it without question. This is going to be easier than I thought. I couldn't help thinking that as the man downed the drink. I ordered another for him, and he started telling me everything. About how he started seeing a faceless man, and was worried about his family. Then his wife divorced him, took his kids and left him behind. They died in an accident afterward. He tried finding help, but no one believed him. The stalker became more aggressive, and he ran. He finally disappeared to here. I listened to all of this, acting interested the whole time. i tried to warn him, run. run while you can. she wouldn't let me.

     He said that he hates what he's become, and wishes for an end to it all. I turn to him and smile as I say, "Then today's your lucky day." Before he could react, the poison in those drinks starts to kick in. There was nothing he could do. I stand up and walk out the door, the man's body is found four days later. He was killed in a drunken driving accident. why. why did i do this. why couldn't i stop it.

     She's proud of me, tells me that it was a job well done. i'm a murderer. And She welcomes me home. Home. back to hell. It's so beautiful here, I feel safe for the first time. I wouldn't give it up for anything.

i miss s.

31 comments:

  1. What does it matter to you? When you've got a job to do you're gonna do it well.

    Or, of course, you could not. Tell 'em what you can, enough to take you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never do that. I'm proving myself to her. i've tried. i have. she's just too strong. she won't let me.

      Delete
    2. She's not the only one to prove yourself to.
      Question is, are you going to prove a failure? Everything you fought against, are you going to give in to that?
      S will be terribly disappointed with you. And she's not the only one.

      Delete
    3. She's the only one who matters. She and my new family. I will not be a failure to her.

      And S is a part of my past. A past that I left behind. I don't care what she would think, nor do I care about your opinion either.

      Delete
    4. I'm not one of the disappointed ones. I already had you pegged as weak, what does it matter if you prove me right?

      But consider this; you must know your loyalty comes from the hold she has on your mind. The deal you made. But there are others. If you can't protect your mind from her, you can't protect your mind from them. You can't be a good servant with this weakness. You will disappoint her in the end.

      Delete
    5. Your attempts to use psychology against me are actually amusing.

      Delete
    6. It's psychology to suggest that a weak servant is a liability? You do me too much credit.

      Delete
    7. No, that's logic. You, on the other hand, are attempting to make me doubt Her. Not working, by the way.

      Delete
    8. I'm really not. You aren't my problem, it's that proxy kid that has to kill you. I just have an interest in servants of all stripes being stronger, including you.

      Secure your mind.

      Delete
    9. Yeah, the English kid. You asked him to put the kibosh on you if you ever joined the Fears, then you did.

      Delete
    10. If he's suicidal, he can make the attempt.

      Delete
    11. Yeah, if you say so.
      Point is, killing you is his problem, making you useful is mine.

      Delete
    12. Uh huh, sure. Not your problem at all, since I am useful.

      I'd love to stay and chat, but I have another task to get to.

      Delete
    13. Not useful enough. Not yet.

      Best of luck on the job.

      Delete
    14. Carter! Always nice to meet another fella who stalks and obsesses over girls!

      Delete
    15. You obviously have the wrong idea. What girl am I stalking and obsessing over?

      You're just sick.

      Delete
    16. S, and that snake bitch.

      I'm not sick. Why are you calling me that? I get my 5 a day.

      Delete
    17. Let's see, one is a part of my past that doesn't matter anymore and the other is the Fear who I work for. Wow, that's definitely stalking if I've ever heard of it.

      You are. Look at what's inside of you.

      Delete
    18. A shard? That's all. Pchelka is nice, though.

      Delete
    19. Right, keep telling yourself that. Won't change anything, though. If I keep saying that water is dry it won't happen.

      Delete
    20. No, he's sickeningly nice. As soon as I let that pussy take over, he's apologising to everyone for everything I've done and talking in his stupid shaky voice.

      Delete
    21. Well, how about I give Pchelka some inpOHMYGODDIDHE HURT yOU? THIS MAN IS FIng INSANEGET mE OIT of HOM

      OK, poor Pchelka's rowdy today, I'll put him to bed.

      Delete
  2. Having fun working for mother? I know I sure am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it, but I feel like She's holding me back. I want to do more difficult jobs. Just carrying packages and killing the odd Runner is boring.

      Delete
    2. It's because you still have such a major weakness. You don't want to be a pawn, don't have a pawn's weakness.

      Delete
    3. Just be happy that shes letting you do anything useful. It sure beats taking care of a rogue brat.

      Delete
    4. Rogue? Excuse you. I am not a rogue.

      Delete