Thursday, March 20, 2014

Situation Resolved--Partially

   I don't even know where to begin. Actually, I guess I'll start by saying goodbye to Lovett. We'll miss you, and thanks for all the help. So, you know how I mentioned in my last post about supplies going missing? Yeah, we found out who was taking them. It was Carter. For real this time, and he would have killed me. I could see it in his eyes. He'd do it without a second thought. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself here. I'll start at the beginning.

   I was reading a report about Lovett's blood sample and decided to walk around the plane while doing so. I passed through the armory: nothing out of the ordinary. It was just as I was about to leave that I heard a distinct sound: footsteps. Two of them. At the same exact time. Almost like someone had just jumped. I turned and saw him. He was quick. Before I could react, he had me in a stranglehold. If I ever complain about Jack again, remind me that his training saved my life. I managed to free myself somehow and knew that there was only one thing that I could do. I hit what we jokingly called 'the Big Red Button.' It's a fail-safe that was built into the plane. It reads the commander's fingerprint, then requires an extra press to activate. The entire plane will be 'decontaminated.' There's one in almost every major room. I think it had been Jack's idea. Either way, all I had to do was press it and well...Carter understood what would happen. He wouldn't survive.

   I think he realized that I'd really press it, so he ran. Apparently, there's an area on the plane that he could enter from, and I'm assuming that that's where he was headed. I hit the intercom and shouted for Jenkins to head to the generator that powers the alloy. Carter was gone, and that was fine. He didn't get anything else. I went to Doc for treatment. In the struggle, he had stabbed me. While Doc was asking what had happened, the lights went out. Then the emergency ones turned on. Jenkins came in and explained that he was drawing extra power for the alloy generator, and that we'd be running on the emergency one until we found out what was wrong.

   After he left, I told Doc about what I had been about to do. He didn't even react. He said that it "would have saved many lives." It's scary though, I was prepared to sacrifice myself and everyone else on the plane just to stop Carter. What does that make me? What does that make him? -- Com. Sam Cartwright

No comments:

Post a Comment