Friday, March 14, 2014

It's In the Blood

   Well, here's this week's post. As usual, colored text for easier reading. Blue = Doc, Orange = me.

   So, as some of you may have already seen, we were sent a blood sample to test from Lovett. I had another matter to look into that I'll elaborate on in a bit, so I decided to let Doc handle it all. Well, shortly after we picked up the package, he asked me to come take a look because it was 'urgent.' He's normally calm in all circumstances, so when he says that something is urgent, it normally is. Immediately after I walked in he told me to 'take a look.' So I did, and I was surprised.

   Doc, what is this? Did you happen to find a sample of Carter's blood from when we first picked him up? I thought all of that was destroyed when we left the old base.

   It isn't. This is Lovett's. As you can see, the concentration of Azoth is, well, out of proportion with anything that we've ever seen.

   It can't be! Maybe you accidentally contaminated it... He was shaking his head. But, Carter was comatose when he had less than this in his blood! He was pretty much brain-dead according to Dr. Giles. Lovett shouldn't even be able to live with this much in his system.

   I know, I read the reports. This is almost double the amount that Carter had. I've already run checks for any of the substances that the Oathbreakers are known for. Well, at least the ones that we know of. His white blood cell count, look at it. It shouldn't be that low, here's a chart showing your average human male's blood. I looked over the charts. That's not all, either, Sam. Look at this: his t-cell count, his b-cells, even the NK's are all...off. As per the regs on blood samples, I asked all of the questions. Negative to AIDS, no Ataxia, no SCID, none of it.  Sam, he said that he isn't suffering from any of that, but look! The cell counts are so off, that theoretically, he should be suffering from all  of those. It's related to the Azoth somehow. Even Carter had slightly below average counts, and you saw how after every test the concentration of Azoth decreased until it almost imperceptible. But this...  He looked completely lost.

   Okay, here's what we're going to do: first we compile everything we can. Get Jenkins in here to help if you have to! Then, we give him the report. The full report, and everything we have. Lastly, we will keep our offer open to him. He can stay with us if he wants. Safe shelter, no worries about Pathers, food, a bed, and people to talk to. Plus, it will allow him easy access to any medical help we can offer.

   I wouldn't say safe from Pathers, unless you've found the solution to our little 'supply shortage...'

   Not yet, I'm still working on it. Keep me aprised on this. And let me know immediately if you find anything else. 

   I left him to deal with the situation, after all, I'd only get in the way. I'm not trained as well as he is to analyze blood samples. Now to the other matter. We've had a break-in. Numerous break-ins. Each one has been completely untraceable. Nothing on the cameras, no witnesses, nothing. It makes no sense, the alloy is still functioning properly, yet someone is still breaching our security. We know that Carter had gotten through and taken one of the arctic survival suits, but that was back when his command codes still worked. And they don't anymore, so that's already scratched off the list.

   It started out small: a few rounds of ammo, maybe an empty magazine, nothing all that noticeable. But then it kept increasing: grenades, then a few pistols (that's when we started noticing), a few rifles, then pieces of body armor, next some rounds for grenade launchers, then one of our grenade launchers. The biggest thing was the most recent: a full suit of our body armor. From the boots and specialty socks, to the helmet, and even the gloves. It's getting really worrying, I don't think I've slept soundly since we realized what was happening. We're all on edge. I'll update you all as this situation develops. -- Com. Sam Cartwright

No comments:

Post a Comment