Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Fate Worse Than Death

     Well, by the time you all read this, it'll be too late. I'll have already done it. I'll be gone. And you'll all hate me for what I'm about to do. Or rather what I have done. I've made many references to this, and now I'm going to tell you all what's going on.
  
     Firstly, you all know about my odd healing ability that I woke up with, right? It's become more of a curse than anything. I guess it serves as a punishment now. I can't die. I've tried. Jumping off buildings and cliffs, being shot in the head, blown up, hanging, you name it, I've tried it. None of it worked. Sad, isn't it. Every single time, I woke up. Each time I healed. Every time the guilt stayed. All of it. From the first time I killed someone, to letting S get involved. Hell, I even blame myself for some of the stuff that happened to you all. I wish I could forget it all. But, it's a part of me now.    

     So, it all started back on that day when I was found in the alleyway. In a way, I had been captive. In my own mind. I was subjected to so many different tortures. Every time that I resisted, the environment changed. There were always constants though. Like the same doctor, the same guards, and her. In every single one, she put herself in a position of power. The environments were interesting. Some were medieval. Some modern prisons. Internment camps from different time periods. And then there's the last one. The one that they decided to stick with: the insane asylum. In this one, she was the 'Administrator.' 

     I wasn't the only person being tortured. Perhaps that's a preferred method by this Fear. One night, a fellow 'inmate' was attempting to mistake. Went past me, told me how to enter and exit the place at will. The only drawback: I'd return every time I slept in the real world. I saw him get recaptured. Didn't want to think about what they were going to do to him. I used his technique anyway.

     Eventually, I built up enough trust that the 'Administrator' allowed me to receive a special visit. It was S. The real S, not that husk that's been out here in the real world. It was nice to be reunited with her. I passed on another piece of knowledge that I had acquired: the view from the window changed depending on where I was in the world. I used that to my advantage. Had S tell me what she could see. It allowed me to keep tabs on her movement. But, through it all, we were just happy to see each other again. Even if it wasn't in person.

     One night, the doctor came into my room. He told me that the "'Administrator' would like to have a word." She walked in. The guards had to restrain me as I tried attacking her. She made me an offer. Give myself up, willingly, and S will be free. On top of that, she would be guaranteed safety from every Fear and could live a normal life. I thought about it. If it hadn't been for me, S would have a normal life. She wouldn't have made the decision to stay behind and detonate that bomb. She wouldn't have been taken. And she definitely wouldn't be serving a Fear. I accepted the deal. Since then, I've been acquiring certain items and dealing with a few 'issues.' Proving my worth, if you will. By the time this goes up, I'll have completed my end of the deal. 

     I'm so sorry guys. Some of you know what my views on this are. I've always viewed serving a Fear as a fate worse than death. Especially if it's involuntary. You all have a right to hate me. Every single one of you. I'm a sell-out. But I did it to save her. If any of you see me in person after this, stay clear. I won't be the same person anymore. I'm sorry. So, I guess this is goodbye. I hate goodbyes. Stay safe everyone.


It's Been a Fun Ride,
Carter


 Hey, all, it's Sam here. He's gone. I'll give you guys a report on what exactly happened. Soon. I just need some time to come to terms with this. Hang in there. -- Commander Samantha Cartwright

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like he was caught by momma Lily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Momma Lily"? -- Com. Sam Cartwright

      Delete
    2. Lilith. I call her lily, much to her dislike.
      It sounds like he was put into one of her 'special' containment buildings.

      Delete
    3. This is all news to me, he kept us in the dark. We don't even have access to the old archive system so we couldn't look any of it up.

      Delete
    4. Well, if you even need any information on her I would be glad to help. I doubt she will mind much.

      Delete
    5. Thank you. I appreciate it. -- Com. Sam Cartwright

      Delete
    6. Might there be a more...private way we can talk about this?

      Delete
  2. Damnit. Fucking hell. Reality just gets worse and worse whichever one you look at. No matter fucking what you do. No matter where you go. It. Just. Gets. Worse. Fuck you Carter. You were supposed to make a difference.

    Sam. Do you remember where the library is. I don't care what state it's in. That doesn't matter to me. Oh, and please tell Keith to start training if he hasn't already. I'm sure he'll want to be in fighting shape soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did a make a difference. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be here. Doc wouldn't. Keith wouldn't. S wouldn't. The team made it out alive because he made a difference. Well, almost all of us. Franklin didn't. If it hadn't been for Carter, we'd never have made it out of there.

      And of course I know where the library is. However, it is classified as top secret due to the fact that it is a fall-back base for the Agency now. After all, the entire city is invisible.

      And, Keith's been training don't worry. -- Com. Sam Cartwright

      Delete
    2. I was thinking larger scale. He saved us, yeah, but he had a bigger purpose. He could have done so much more. Seeing the average runner bite it is tough. Seeing the one you thought would change things turn? I lost my temper and destroyed a cell block yesterday. It's like. Victory was assumed to be impossible. And then he was victory. And then this.
      Carter. I will do my best to find you, capture you, and either save you , or find a way to destroy you.
      Don't worry Sam, I'm sure I can make do without it. I've got ways of finding information. Anything in the library can be found elsewhere or elsewhen.

      Delete
    3. Perhaps. But he was never one to believe in fate or anything like that.
      And, there isn't really anything you can do. I doubt you'd be able to kill him, as I've seen him try to find ways and fail. He always hated what he was becoming. I think he knew what was going to happen. I wish you lucj though. -- Com. Sam Cartwright

      Delete
    4. Fate? No. What I know and what I've seen. And I don't really need to kill him. I can just put him in a volcano or a star or a patch of empty space. Last resorts though. If I can't save him. If in all of earth's history and it's current future I can't find some way or some person. Then I neutralize him.

      Delete
    5. Don't you think that's a bit..extreme? -- Com. Sam Cartwright

      Delete
    6. I saw him get so fucking close.

      Delete
    7. Close? To what? -- Com. Sam Cartwright

      Delete
    8. To finding a way to fight back. Actually fight back.

      Delete
  3. If I find you, I'm going to clear your head if it's the last thing I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't recommend that, Sanna, he'd probably try to take your head off if he saw you. -- Com. Sam Cartwright

      Delete