Friday, November 15, 2013

Situation Update

Sam here. A lot's happened this past 24 hours. For starters, the commander was posting comments. In the middle of a crisis situation. That's the major thing. We had a crisis. We're fine now and waiting for clearance to land at a different site. Hopefully, we'll be safe until we can figure out what had happened. Colored text: Pinkish-purple=me. Blue=Doc. Orange=Jenkins. Green=Hattery.
I was in the operations room when alarms started going off.

Ma'am, you'll want to see this. Massive surge of Sigma in the area.

Lieutenants Greene and O'Connor walked in. Along with Doc.
Is it true?

Before I could respond, Hattery's voice came over the intercom: Our instruments up here are picking up Sigma. Please tell me it's a false alarm.

Jenkins told me it wasn't. We had to act, fast. Doc, get the med-bay prepared, just in case. Keep an eye on Keith as well. Greene, get your squad ready and go on constant patrol throughout the plane. Make sure we are airtight. O'Connor, get your squad ready, have them prepare for possible boarders. Hattery, get us in the air ASAP. Am I clear? Questions?

They all started moving. This was bad. Ma'am? This surge came out of nowhere. I've never seen anything like it. Are we even prepared for this? And where's the commander?

Just focus on those readings, lieutenant. I want to know where this is coming from.   

Another alarm went off. Proximity alarm! Port side wing. Near engine 3. Footage.  He pointed at a monitor. The image was very difficult to see, but there was a figure standing looking straight at the camera.

Can you enhance it any, Jenkins?

Negative. This is the best we can get. I'll keep an eye on it. Shouldn't the commander be out here, taking charge in this kind of situation? 

He should, yes. But forget about him. We have a job to do. If he wants to stay in that office, than at least he's out of my way. 

He looked like he was about to say something. But he got cut off by the intercom. It was Doc. Sam, I'm looking at these readings. There are enough particles out there to kill any of us with only a half-second of exposure. There's nothing I can really do. If we get a breach... He didn't need to finish that thought.

I know. I'm going to the cockpit to see why we aren't in the air yet. Jenkins, keep an eye on our 'friend' out there.

On the way, I passed by Raven squad. They were in full protective gear. Not that it would do them any good. At least it made them feel safer. All three pilots were in the cockpit. Hattery, Dixon, and the Russian ensign who claims to be the best pilot that Russia's ever seen. I wouldn't know. Lieutenant! Why aren't we in the air yet? 

Hattery answered without turning. Engines aren't igniting. I don't know why. The fuel is reaching them. The lines are fine. But they just aren't igniting. I looked at the ensign. He was intently watching his panel. He then called Hattery's attention to something. That might just work. Let's give it a try, what have we got to lose, eh? It's going to be a while, ma'am, go ahead on back to the ops center. Let us fly-boys handle this.

I walked on back to the operations control. It was a while before anything happened. Raven and Bear kept reporting no activity. Jenkins let me know when the figure vanished. Suddenly we started moving. I walked to the intercom. Results?

Kind of. We're moving. Just not the way we want to. Engines are working for reverse thrust, but not forward thrust. I'm thinking that, maybe, if we move back far enough, we might be able to get forward thrust. It was a sound plan. As long as we didn't hit anything. Jenkins called my attention to the monitors. The figure had appeared at two other locations before disappearing again. Along with all traces of the Sigma. Hattery came over the intercom again. Everyone strap in! We're going to start take-off procedures. With luck it'll work. Next stop, anywhere but here.  

We were in the air shortly afterwards. Currently, Jenkins and his team are looking at the still frames from the camera recordings. Doc's doing examinations of everyone to make sure that none of were introduced to Sigma. We're waiting for clearance to land. And I'm completely pissed at the commander. It can go down here, in record. That was completely out-of-line. He should have been out here when the first alarm went off. Instead, he stayed in that office, writing comments on blogs. I'll keep you all posted. Lieutenant Commander Sam Cartwright, signing off.

     

43 comments:

  1. You ought to be more careful. With some legwork, someone could really narrow down your location using the information here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What information. I've read through it multiple times, never once did I even mention the continent that we're in. - Lt. Com. Cartwright

      Delete
    2. There are very few planes that could be yours. Conspiracy theorists, plane-spotters and suchlike make keeping a general idea of where they are easier, and the organisation I work for has a vast well of contacts and informants, including government. Do you know how many of the candidates took off suddenly, weren't landed at 11:31?

      Delete
    3. That's a very good point. Never looked at it that way. - Lt. Com. Cartwright

      Delete
    4. Extreme paranoia is a perk(?) of being a proxy. Lucky I'm on your side, I guess.

      Delete
    5. I guess so. - Lt. Com. Cartwright

      Delete
    6. So easy to find you.
      Hes right, you should be more careful.

      Delete
    7. Well it is kind of difficult to keep a plane this size hidden. Who are you? - Lt. Com. Cartwright

      Delete
    8. Not Carter. I work for him, can't really say more. Rest assured, there's no conflict of interests.

      Delete
    9. I hope not. - Lt. Com. Cartwright

      Delete
    10. Believe it or not, I kind of like you people. Wouldn't be screwing over our best shot at dealing with the fears.

      Delete
    11. What do you mean? - Lt. Com. Cartwright

      Delete
    12. If there was a conflict of interests, it'd probably end in your favour. 'C' is keeping me employed, with access to the network of informants that provided your information. You're the most likely to find a way to stop the Fears, two of whom want to kill me.

      I know which side my bread isbuttered on. So does C.

      Delete
    13. I wish I had your enthusiasm. Is there any chance that we could organize a meeting with C? Carter's obviously in no shape to meet him, but I am. - Lt. Com. Cartwright

      Delete
    14. I'll act as a go-between, but I doubt you'll get a face-to-face meeting. I haven't seen since I was a proxy.

      Delete
    15. I prefer face-to-face. If he's not able, don't worry it.

      Delete
    16. If you've got any messages for him, email them to me and I'll send them across.

      Delete
    17. I'm afraid that Sam was overstepping her position. Your boss needn't worry about any meetings. Thank you, however.

      Delete
  2. Sigma? What the fuck is SIGMA? Is it some sort of radiation? What gives it off? Does it mutate people? Oh, and this world's me would probably say thanks for keeping an eye on that Keith guy. Seems like they're good friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say pleasure to meet you, but considering the fact that you've already threatened some of my friends, it's far from a pleasure. If you go near any of my friends. If you try to touch any of them, I will find you. Consider this your one and only warning.

      Delete
    2. Whoah whoah whoah. This visit, I'm not touching any of you boy or girlscouts. I'm only going after crooks. I never threatened you guys specifically. The only buddy of yours I've hurt is myself. And he'll be back in about three or four weeks.
      Are you gonna answer my questions? Jack never revived you in my world, think that was the crux point. You being dead changed a LOT else.

      Delete
    3. Sanna? Or S? I wouldn't know about S, seeing as how her name is sorta a mystery, but Sanna died months ago. My world is not more safe than this one by any stretch. But I can definitely bring them over to one that is. One without fears. Or proxies. No classes at all. Only thing that's dangerous is common criminals. And I think they can stand up to that. I kill most class 1's since they're alive in other worlds and can't be moved to one without fears.

      Delete
    4. No. You don't belong here. This isn't your world. Leave. It's bad enough that the Fears get involved in our affairs, we don't need meddlers from other realities as well.

      Delete
    5. But all I want is to eliminate all of the fears. Make as many people happy and safe as possible, in all of the realities. If that means I have to kill some people, innocent or guilty, then I do what I must. But if there are other ways, I take them. I'm not leaving this world until I need to.

      Delete
    6. Being here has the opposite effect. You need to leave. None of us appreciate meddling like this. If you don't leave voluntarily, you will be forced out.

      Delete
    7. So you don't want someone that can kill Mourning to do so? I was planning to leave this place as soon as I cleaned out some of the nastier proxy nests.
      By the by Carter, I buried you next to the members of your old organization. In a cemetery. Next to Keith, and Tom, and Jennifer, and Sanna later. I won't watch you die again. I will protect you and San if it costs me my life.

      Delete
    8. Jennifer? Tom? I thought you didn't know Keith?

      Delete
    9. Not this one. Mine was different. He moved down to my town when he was young. Same body, developed differently. Much closer than this one and him. Wondering if grandpappy influenced this Linux to get to me.

      Delete
    10. Oh, and the other two were my friends that died shortly after I started running. This one never mentioned their names? How odd.

      Delete
    11. Or maybe you're crazier than Morningstar and Jack combined.

      Delete
    12. Hahahaha. I might be a bit crazy. Difference is, I know I'm leaving. After I clean things up. But what have I done? So far I've only done what this Linux does. Kill a fuck ton of nasty proxies. Star will be next. And that means that he doesn't go even more insane than he already is.

      Delete
    13. You've trespassed into a reality where you don't belong.

      Delete
    14. I've seen what happens to this reality without intervention. It's not pretty. Why follow the rules of a rigged game?

      Delete
    15. Because you don't belong here.

      Delete
    16. New!Linux, quit the emotional blackmail and blatant lies. We don't need some fucking white saviour. This is our reality, our business, our concerns, not yours.

      Delete
    17. I do not lie, and if it seems like blackmail, then I apologize. And all realities are my concern. At any cost

      Delete
    18. Either way, you are intruding here. Sanna, I've got something important to do. Keep an eye on him, please. I'll be back sometime next week.

      Delete
    19. No need. He's gone. And not back unless I completely lose control over everything.

      Delete
    20. Could you give some rough odds on that?

      Delete
    21. Depends on how much I need to shift. It helps with fighting a load, but it slowly makes me lose control. And that doesn't even mean that he'll take control. It just means that he might.
      So, uhh. Even odds if I make a habit of fighting the scary guys. Star is the only one on my list at the moment, so I should be safe for a while.

      Delete