Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Been Too Long (Part 4)

     I hate the desert. Especially the Sahara. Especially creepy old abandoned bases in the middle of the Sahara. Even more so when creepy bases have enemies lurking around. Linux has been digging around in the other reality of his in the Agency's old bases. We can't hit the Alaskan base because of the sheer number of enemies there, but the Saharan base was another story. It had been abandoned back in 2008. The commander at the time decided a base in the US would be more beneficial. Well, some of the structure survived. However, we needed a local guide to find it. Luckily, Ms. Cartwright is very adept with languages. Our ground team had been myself, her, Linux, and Raven squad. Bear had been left with the Bearcat to keep an eye out. We've heard rumors about Jack being seen. Anyway, we had to sweep and clear the structure. Then we let Linux do his thing. He told us a lot of what he found, but he's also kept some to himself. Understandable, some things are never meant to be known. We bugged out as soon as we were done. Set off a few more bombs inside to completely destroy it so that it can't be used by the same group again. Ironically, they were servants of the Cold Boy. Why the desert, who knows.

     And, now for those of you who have been reading the comments section, you probably have started piecing more of what's happened together. As a recap (for those of you who aren't reading the comments):
  • I gave Lovett some equipment and got some files in return
  • The mystery Class 3 who led the attack in Alaska, who (the late) Cartwright had served, who possibly has S, and who very well possibly brought me back may be Lilith. Which, as it just so happens, we have absolutely nothing in our database about. Seriously, why can't things be easy for once in my life? Because of those...implications, I have a constant monitor on my brainwaves. Since we know that I can hear whispers, that means that something is messing with my head. And we'd rather be safe than sorry. I hate my life.

    Now, back to the past.
_________________________________________________________________________________

     I'm going to give you all an abridged version in an attempt to make this shorter. So, I woke up the next morning with S next to me. I tried slipping out of the bed without waking her. Didn't work, she looked at me.

"You're going?" She looked very sad, yet tired as well.

"I have to. It's a...difficult life. I'll be back as soon as I can, [REDACTED]."

She sighed, but said goodbye to me. I got ready, donned the uniform, and started for the mess hall. I met with Sam after eating a small breakfast. She brought me through the base on the tour which ended with the doctor giving me a full examination. I made sure to mention the fact that I could hear constant whispering. He told me to inform him if anything changed.

     Flash forward a short while (I told you that I was going to give you all the abridged version) and I had completed quite a few operations on the ground. I think, at the time of this event, it was 5 or 6. I had been working closely with Sam and her squad. Raven squad was 'the best of the best'. And she was the commanding officer of it. You see, the ranking system is a bit odd. First, the ensigns, the lowest rank. Then, the lieutenants, the squad leaders. Next, Lieutenant Commander, second in command of all operations. And lastly, Commander, the head of everything in the Agency. So, we had just successfully completed an assault on a proxy base. I decided that I needed to find a way to relax. S was not at the base, she only visited on the weekends, so I decided to attempt climbing the nearby mountain. I convinced Sam to join me. After we got to the top, we relaxed for a bit and talked. Then we saw it: the biggest snowstorm we had ever seen. The area that the base was in was notorious for bad storms, but this one was at least three times as large as a normal one. And we hadn't gotten a single warning. Normally, we do.

     Something was wrong. We hurried back to the base. Got inside just as the storm hit. This was back when the alloy shielding was only on the vital rooms. Suddenly, we lost power. The emergency generators kicked on just in time for me to see the soldiers next to me get cut down. We had a fighting retreat. As we went deeper into our own base, they kept cutting us down. Eventually, one jumped from around a corner and knocked me to the ground. He smiled a twisted smile. "I've got you!" He said it with such glee that it made my blood freeze. The knife was plunged down to the hilt into my left lung. I fought him back as he (and myself) were shocked that I was still able to breathe. He stabbed my other lung, too. It knocked me back, and I hit the ground in shock. 'I shouldn't be breathing' kept shooting through my mind. A bullet went through his head. Sam started dragging me back to the medics. They pulled the knife out and we all watched as the wounds slowly closed on their own. Shortly after, we managed to repel the attack. All their bodies disappeared. We thought it may have been the Cold Boy who orchestrated the attack, but there wasn't any proof. They kept me under close watch to try and find out if I was dangerous. Eventually, I was released back into duty. Since then, I have taken more abuse than should be possible. My heart itself has been shot four times. I know I'm not invulnerable though, so I try to attempt caution.

     The next event involved Cartwright. As you all know, he had been serving a Class 3. He had special abilities as well. At the time, I had no clue of either of those. I found out the hard way what his abilities were. He made a call on an operation that I didn't agree with. He called me into his office. We argued. I snatched a gun, and aimed it at him. He laughed and told me to shoot him. When I didn't pull the trigger, he moved faster than any other human. Laughed some more as he aimed the pistol at his own shoulder. Crazy bastard pulled the trigger. I watched as both the wound itself and the fabric of the uniform moved back into place and healed. All that happened in less than 10 seconds. Faster than the speed that my wounds heal. He laughed, and dismissed me.

     Later, I found out that he served a Class 3. As he betrayed us to it. Would have killed everyone. I had to kill him. Took a major beating in the process. I'll tell you guys that in the next part. Hopefully, I'll wrap it all up in that one.

Until the Next,
Carter

21 comments:

  1. L once mentioned that Lilith, and the cold brat had a.... alliance I think he called it.
    That might explain part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, alright. I wish there was more info available. I don't like the idea of anyone controlling me in any way.

      Delete
    2. They did in the other world, temporarily at least. A few of them decided to team up. Rake stayed a wild card, as did eye, and the manufactured as well. There was another, not yet seen in this reality, but I can't say much on it at the moment. Hoping that I can find more information on it at some point.
      They all turned on each other before the end, by the by.

      Delete
    3. That's just great. The more I look at it, the more screwed up this situation gets...

      Delete
  2. CARTER! Sorry, I just had to meet one of the people who was advising Sanna. Hello. I'm Maddie! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do I always end up with a disadvantage when you all say hello to me? Seriously? Advising Sanna? Name one time, since last I checked she's helped me far more than I have her. And by the way, you are seriously lucky that I'm trying to find S right now. If it wasn't for that, you would be number 1 on my target list. Human trafficking is a bad business to even get involved with.

      Delete
    2. Ha! You wouldn't have the guts to come after me.

      Delete
    3. Wouldn't have the guts? That's funny. Cause I don't think you'd be any worse than the other situations I've been in. Spitting in the S-man's face. Taken bullets to many vital organs and still living. Healing from injuries that would kill a regular human. Killing the Jack-of-All. I've died, twice, and I've come back. I've been prepared, and have on one occasion, to set up a nuclear warhead to explode next to me. In one of those situations, the threat was dealt with and the bomb disarmed, but the second. Well, someone else made me leave. Made me promise to never forget, to keep fighting. I am going to keep that promise, I will fight the Fears until my dying breath. Even if it is direct assaults on those Fears. So, I would come after you.

      Delete
    4. You sure could. I'm not denying that.

      What I'm saying is, you won't.

      Delete
    5. You're so sure of that? Why?

      Delete
    6. Because you've got biiiig stuff going on, more important than Sanna. Fact.

      Delete
    7. I'm hoping that means that you don't know any more than I do...But, look, I would love to continue this, but I've got some reports to file. I'll be back later, but I'll leave you with a bit of advice: watch your back. You seem to have a knack for making people want to kill you.

      Delete
    8. Oh honey, it's much easier just to say "Wow, you're right Maddie! I'll make sure not to talk out my arse next time! Have a nice day!"

      Delete
    9. Might I request that either after, or if it isn't too much of an inconvenience, me and Raven team track down Maddie? If you don't need them anyways. I mean, you're busy with S, but me? I know my shit's gonna take time to find. I'd be willing to go at it with just me and Keith too during a waiting period. I mean, jeez, she's a monster AND she rubs me the wrong way.

      Delete
    10. @ Maddie. No. I was not not 'talking out my arse'. I was stating facts. Cold facts. Now that I've gotten the reports filed, I have some time. Now Sanna is important, yes. But, I have an obligation to S first. I have a lead, a damn good lead. I will follow it, but when I'm done, watch your back.

      @Linux. As much as I'd like to, it isn't really my place. Nor is it Raven's. Not right now, at least. I'll need them for the operation I'm planning. If we don't go after her, someone will. That's a fact.

      Delete
  3. All of your men are safe, keeping and eye on potential class twos. I suggest the same when they return to base, along with detailed physicals comparing samples to mine. They've shown no signs of shifting, but I don't know what the fuck went down. It's only two of them. Joel and the Vindrith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copy that. They're being recalled though, I need their help. Sorry. Will you and Keith be fine on your own for a while?

      Delete
    2. Yeah. Tell me if you need any help.

      Delete
    3. Well, he's currently in the med-bay, unresponsive. Writing up a post about it now. - Lt. Com. Cartwright

      Delete
  4. Well, another runner I see. Well, let me know if there's anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really a runner anymore. More of a fighter now. I've been in this situation for more than a year now.

      Delete