Friday, April 26, 2013

Failure...

   I am back. According to this computer's date, I have been gone for only one day. Which makes sense, because I would have had to help an almost-dead person through the Pathways. That would have increased the interval to about 2-4 days. It obviously didn't happen.
   As you can tell, I was unable to rescue Mr. Carter. I got to the correct time and place, but something wouldn't allow him to live. I need a new plan. Any ideas?
   Like I said to Ms. Med, I did an autopsy on the body. (I later did another on the body I recovered from my botched attempt-for-a-rescue)  The results:
  • He died in a time period of mere minutes to an hour after his last post. The one where he cut off abruptly. He was not able to finish that post, or post comments after it. He just vanished momentarily.
  • Attached to his brain (of both bodies) was an odd black, tar-like substance. It tried melding/merging with me after I touched it. It was also similar to a cancerous tumor. It has also disappeared.
  • He had been severely beaten, many broken ribs, a broken leg, dislocated shoulder.
  • He had lost a lot of blood.
  • There were no puncture wounds. (i.e.- knife, or similar tool)
  • He definitely had not been shot by a gun.
  • And the Mr. Carter that I had 'pulled' out from danger died within 5 minutes of entering the Pathway. Reason: currently unknown.
    Lastly, it appears that he had gone back to the meeting site that the Council had used. He recovered a lot of papers and a completely useless revolver. That will be all for now, I will keep you posted on what all happens.--Jack

Edit: Added a little bit of clarification to the autopsy section.

24 comments:

  1. ...What stopped you from recovering him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stumped. One minute, I brought him onto the Pathway, the next he just..died. It was sudden and without warning.

      Delete
    2. Have you tried going further back?

      Delete
    3. Considered it, but whatever killed him before will probably cause him to die again.

      Delete
    4. If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the autopsy. Sorry about earlier; time's starting to get weird over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure a day isn't supposed to last three hours. That was the main tipoff.

      Delete
    2. Wait, you are probably in a different time zone than the one I am in. Don't worry, they confuse me too.

      Delete
    3. The time zones were a little hard to get used to, but I actually watched it rise and set in the space of that time. With my mouth hanging open. That's not confusing, that's one notch higher into bamboozling.

      Delete
    4. That is odd. You sure you aren't blacking out for periods of time?

      Delete
    5. There's no 'jumps' in memory, so I don't *think* so... but I can't be sure.

      Delete
    6. Well, as Mr. Carter would say, stay safe,

      Delete
  3. Keep trying anyway. Slenderfucker may want him dead, but you might be able to at least buy him some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shit, forgot to 'sign'

      ~

      Delete
    2. 'Buy him time'? Do you understand the situation? He's dead. D-E-A-D. If I was restricted to the way you all perceive time, there would be no chance for him because he died. By going back, I have a chance to save him. But my attempt failed because of some unknown reason. Every time that I try to 'rescue' him, he will die again. I am being humane by not killing Mr. Carter over and over and over again.

      Delete
    3. Sure, he might die, but if you could figure out a way to buy him an extra week or month, that would be something worth doing, don't you think?

      ~

      Delete
    4. To 'rescue' him, I have to use the Pathways to, not only travel distance, but also travel time. Which means, that it is technically impossible to 'buy him time.' When I attempt again, I will have to still go 'back' (for lack of any better way to explain) to that time-frame. It will always remain there.

      Delete
    5. But you'd be bringing him forward, right? (Also dying repeatedly isn't really as bad as all that once you get used to it)

      ~

      Delete
    6. Yes, and no. We would have to retrace my steps through the Pathways. That is a short journey when I am alone, but still extremely dangerous. With him, the time to travel would increase by a few months, (which would add only a few days from our perspective) because time is different there. The last time I attempted, he died within 5 minutes of entry into the Pathways. No obvious reason, he just fell over dead. He would not be able to make the journey back. So, technically, every time I go back and 'pull him out,' it is just to watch him die before we make any progress through the Pathways.

      Delete
    7. Huh. Well, figure out why he's dying, then. I mean, if you can just go back in time, it's not like you have a limited window if you DO find a way to fix it.

      ~

      Delete
    8. Exactly what my point has been all along.

      Delete